What is a CSA?
Community-Supported or Community-Shared Agriculture (CSA) is also known as "subscription farming." You buy a subscription from a local farmer just like you buy a subscription to a newspaper or a magazine. Each week you receive a "share" of fresh, locally grown or raised fruit and/or vegetables. Some farmers also offer CSA subscriptions for farm-fresh eggs, and/or meats. CSA subscribers don't so much "buy" food from particular farms as become "members" of those farms. CSAs provide more than just food, they offer ways for eaters to become involved in the ecological and human community that supports the farm. Join one today!
This is amazing! But how do I pick a farm?
Deciding where to get your share is all about knowing what options are best for you and, much like you would pick a care provider, finding growers who you feel a connection with. Different farms also offer different delivery or pick-up options, so convenience will also play a factor, as will flexibility within the membership options. It all depends on your individual needs.
Point me to my nearest CSA farm!
Below is a list of farms that distribute in the Chicago area, all of whom we at Northcenter have networked with through our recent CSA Info Night. We consider all of these growers to be wonderful, passionate people committed to providing you with the best, most wholesome products available.
- Angelic Organics - Caledonia, IL - vegetables, fruit*
- Big Head Farm - South Haven, MI - vegetables, fruit, herbs
- C&D Farms - Indiana - pork, poultry, beef, eggs
- Cedar Valley Sustainable Farm - Ottawa, IL - pork, beef, chicken, eggs*
- Earth First Farms - Berrien Center, MI - apples*
- Farmer Tom's CSA - Chicago, IL - vegetables and fruits
- Fat Blossom Farm - Allegan, MI - vegetables
- Four Friends Farms - Hebron, IL - vegetables, herbs
- Freedom Organix - Harvard, IL - vegetables, herbs
- Granor Farm - Three Oaks, MI - vegetables, herbs, melons
- Gray Farms - Watseka, IL - vegetables
- Growing Home - Chicago, IL - vegetables, herbs, eggs
- Joe's Blueberries - Bangor, MI - blueberries*
- Kings Hill Farm - Mineral Point, WI - vegetables
- Midnight Sun Farm - Grayslake, IL - vegetables, eggs
- Mint Creek Farm - Stelle, IL - meat and eggs*
- Montalbano Farms - Sandwich, IL - vegetables, fruit, herbs
- Nature's Choice Farm - Grant Park, IL - poultry, pork, beef, eggs
- New Traditions - Beaverville, IL - vegetables, herbs
- Peasants' Plot Sustainable Farm - Manteno, IL - vegetables
- Sandbox Organics - Grayslake, IL - vegetables, fruits, herbs*
- Scotch Hill Farm - Brodhead, WI - vegetables, flowers, soap, poultry, pork, lamb*
- Sweet Earth Organic Farm - Wauzeka, WI - vegetables, herbs
- Tomato Mountain Farm - Brooklyn, WI - vegetables, herbs, produce products
- Videnovich Farms - Bridgman, MI - vegetables, herbs, preserves, and knitted products
- Willow Ridge Organic Farm - Wauzeka, WI - vegetables and herbs*
*represented at 2017 CSA Night
- Download the CSA Info Sheet for farms represented at the 2017 CSA Night.